The history of Tutima began in Glashütte. This legendary watchmaking region is a name synonymous with high-quality timepieces. As early as in 1845, Ferdinand Adolph Lange trained the first group of apprentices to become watchmakers in the former mining community of Glashütte. Over the years, a horological industry came to life, and the timepieces from Glashütte gained international recognition. By the turn of the twentieth-century precision pocket watches from Glashütte were considered exclusive and coveted by many.
After WWI, the market for expensive precision watches collapsed, and a decade of turbulence and change followed. In 1926 Dr. Ernst Kunz entered the picture and convinced the bank to finance the founding of UROFA (Uhren-Rohwerke-Fabrik Glashütte AG) and UFAG (Uhrenfabrik Glashütte AG). He had several groundbreaking restructuration plans, which resulted in a shift from pocket watches to serially produced wristwatches.
The Tutima seal of quality
In the 1930s, a series of products were created that could stand up to the Swiss competition, and their highest quality level was signed “Tutima.” The Tutima brand gained an excellent reputation. The name comes from the Latin adjective tutus, meaning “safe” or “protected.”
Tutima and Pilots watches
The most extravagant development that came out of UROFA/UFAG was the two-button Tutima-grade pilot’s chronograph outfitted with the highly complex UROFA Caliber 59. It remains still today a milestone in the history of pilot’s watches.
During the last hours of World War II, the Soviet airplanes’ bombs destroyed Glashütte and, by extension, its watch industry. In 1949, the German Democratic Republic combined individual companies in Glashütte to make what was known as a state combine. One by one, the tradition-rich Glashütte brand names vanished from watch dials.
In 1945 Dr. Kurtz and some former employees from Glashütte relocated to West Germany, ensuring their watchmaking future. By 1949 he presented the 111⁄2 line traditional Caliber Kurtz 25 under the name Uhrenfabrik Kurtz. Dr. Kurtz proceeded to move his production to its current location in Ganderkesee, Germany, and in 1959 renamed the ébauche factory to its original name: UROFA.
Under Nurofa (Norddeutsche Uhren- Rohwerkefabrik), the company was manufacturing over 70,000 base versions of Caliber 570 in 1958-59. To distribute the watches powered by this caliber, branded Glashütter Tradition, he founded the company Tutima Uhren.
The Delecate family
Dieter Delecate, a young entrepreneur and previous employee, continued the success story of Tutima. After taking over the distribution, he began manufacturing watches proudly carrying the brand name Tutima on the dial. Together with his children Jörg and Ute, Dieter Delecate developed the company into a globally operating group.
The return to Glashütte
Shortly after the German reunification, Delecate traveled to Glashütte to explore possibilities of a homecoming. In 2005 he signed a purchase agreement for a building only a stone’s throw away from the former site of UROFA. It took six years to complete the renovations and set up an exclusive manufacturing facility. In 2011 Tutima celebrated the reopening by releasing the “Hommage,” the first authentic made-in-Glashütte minute repeater. This was soon followed by the debut of a whole new watch family, with the current Glashütte Collection: Saxon One, M2, Grand Flieger, and Patria proudly portraying a 90-year success story.