History of Tutima Glashütte
The history of Tutima began in Glashütte. This legendary watchmaking region is a name synonymous with high-quality timepieces. As early as 1845, Ferdinand Adolph Lange trained the first group of apprentices to become watchmakers in the former mining community of Glashütte. Over the years, a horological industry came to life, and the timepieces from Glashütte gained international recognition. By the turn of the twentieth-century precision, pocket watches from Glashütte were considered exclusive and coveted by many.
After WWI, the market for expensive precision watches collapsed, and a decade of turbulence and change followed. In 1926 Dr. Ernst Kunz entered the picture and convinced the bank to finance the founding of UROFA (Uhren-Rohwerke-Fabrik Glashütte AG) and UFAG (Uhrenfabrik Glashütte AG). He had several groundbreaking restructuring plans, which resulted in a shift from pocket watches to serially produced wristwatches.