The Internet is a fantastic place where you can find anything you want any time you want it, including watches.
But that’s also a problem as there are so many people and companies selling watches, it’s easy to get confused. Unlike a brick-and-mortar retailer, it is more difficult to ascertain who is the real deal and who is not. With a typical retailer, all you have to do is visit the store to see the watches and who you are dealing with. On the Internet, its faceless web pages are done so well that it’s tricky to separate the real from the illusion.
The Benefits of Buying a Watch Online
Buying online allows you to sit in your own home and order watches that will be delivered to your door within a few days. Buying online saves you a lot of time by allowing you to do your research online instead of running around town. You can get many different overviews of the same watch and take as long as you want to make up your mind.
Online watch retailers do not need to invest in a physical store or store security with high costs, which is why they can often offer better prices to their customers.
Advantages of Buying Watches Online
- A vast selection available at your fingertips.
- You can find watches that are less expensive.
- Increase your probability of finding the watch through access to worldwide shopping
- No pushy salespeople
- Access to more information to be able to compare models and prices.
- No need to leave the comfort of your own home.
Problems with buying online
You have a vast selection of watches available online, and you can buy watches from all over the world. Many of these watches are hundreds and even thousands of dollars less expensive than in a physical retail store, which is tempting. It is often a relatively simple process; you sit at home, order a watch, and then that exact watch is delivered to your home a few days later.
There are, however, problems associated with buying from online sellers. For example, most watch companies offer at least a two-year warranty; however, the watch company will not honor this warranty unless the watch is bought from an authorized retailer. Some websites try to get around this by offering their own warranty, but there is no guarantee that they will still be in business if and when you need your watch serviced.
It can also be difficult to determine just from the website if the watches are real or fake, as anyone can take pictures from, for example, Patek Philippe’s site, so the images look just as good as everyone else’s.
Many websites selling watches are not authorized to sell the brands they are presenting. They manage to get stock from around the world and offer it themselves. Sometimes, they don’t even have the watch you are looking for, but they’ll try to find it for you once you express interest.
There is a real need to be cautious before purchasing online.
Disadvantages of Buying Online
- Online returns tend to be more time-consuming than bringing a watch back to a brick-and-mortar store.
- Unprofessional sellers
- You may not get answers to the questions you have about the watch you wish to purchase.
- Popular watch models tend to sell out rapidly
- You will not be able to try the watch on.
- You can’t examine the watch before buying it.
- The photos may not display the watch accurately.
- A warranty that is not from the official watch brand.
- Inaccurate descriptions of the watch
How to avoid the problems of buying online?
It is best to only buy from authorized retailers. If you find the watch you are looking for at a price that seems too good to be true, chances are it is. If you have any questions or doubts, go somewhere else.
Some watch brands don’t allow their watches to be sold online, so if you see any of these watches for sale on the web, they are unquestionably not authorized. Other brands have authorized retailers who are allowed to sell online, which will be mentioned on the sellers’ website. If you have any questions about whether a seller is real, visit the brand’s website, where you will find a complete listing of authorized retailers.
Also, sometimes brands will sell directly off their own e-commerce site, so these watches will be 100% authentic and come with a full warranty.
Please do yourself a favor and only deal with established companies and their authorized retailers on the web. You might pay a little bit more, but you will have peace of mind about your purchase, and you’ll be able to access all the support from the maker of your new timepiece.
Tips for Buying a Watch Online:
- Is the online shop an authorized dealer?
- Buy from trusted and reputable sellers.
- Check out the website carefully before buying. Does it look professional?
- Read the reviews.
- What is the return policy?
- Check how long they have been in business.
- Check if the online shop is part of the watch community.
- What is the warranty policy?
- Is there a money-back guarantee?
- Pictures don’t always tell the truth, so ask for additional images.
Find Your Watch
Over 150 watch brands' new collections.
Audemars Piguet, Rolex, Patek Philippe and more.